Green Meetings set an example for the environment. With a certification by the Austrian Ecolabel, you as an organizer show that you give thought to sustainable, innovative concepts for your meeting.
The Austrian Ecolabel is the most important state-certified environmental seal in Austria.
To receive the certification, a wide range of environmental criteria must be met. In addition, it is required to meet high standards of both durability and quality.
You too can contribute to environmental and climate protection. We have summarized what to consider when hosting an eco-certified meeting.
A Green Meeting prioritizes:
- Environmentally conscious locations and hotels
- Planning and implementation that uses minimal resources
- Waste prevention and proper waste separation
- Regional, seasonal, and organic food
- Environmentally friendly travel and a reduction of CO₂ emissions
- Social responsibility towards employees and participants
- Strengthening the regional economy and culture
How to get your Green Meeting certification:
- Read the guidelines to get an overview of the certification requirements.
- Finalize a contract with a certification partner of your choice (venue, agency or external vendor). This official licensee is then responsible for compliance with all certification criteria and presenting proof thereof, as well as for the implementation of the certification specifications.
- Select sustainable venue(s), caterer(s) and/or restaurant(s) for potential side events (ideally also certified with the Ecolabel) and finalize the necessary agreements for the certification.
- Select sustainable hotels for participants and finalize necessary agreements, should the hotel rooms be booked centrally.
- Communicate the planned measures internally and externally to all participants and partners.
- Be mindful of social aspects such as accessibility, gender mainstreaming, etc.
All mandatory criteria, as well as a number of target criteria, must be fulfilled in specific categories in order to be awarded the certification.
The Vienna Convention Bureau is happy to assist you. The certification is free of charge. However, the Vienna Convention Bureau will only certify events that are not contracted to work with an agency or venue that is also a Green Meeting licensee.